MESSAGE from the Ombudsman
Hello to Everyone!
My name is Stacy Casey and I am the Ombudsman to Sector Lake Michigan. My husband is OS1 Lance Casey and we have been married for 8 years and Lance has been in the Coast Guard for 10 years. I am currently a stay at home mom and work part time at the YMCA. We have 2 little girls. While we have been in the Coast Guard we have been stationed at ATC Mobile, Pascagoula, MS, Air Station Detroit, and here in Milwaukee.
I have been Sector Lake Michigan's Ombudsman for two years now and I am looking forward to helping anyone in any way I can to make your time stationed in Milwaukee a more pleasant experience. If you ever need to reach me my e-mail is firstname.lastname@example.org and my phone number is (251)402-1871.
Sector Lake Michigan Ombudsman
DECEMBER 2012 RECIPE
8 oz. BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted, slightly cooled
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
36 RITZ Crackers
1 candy cane (6 inch), crushed
1. Mix chocolate and extract
2. Dip crackers in chocolate mixture, turning to evenly coat both sides of each cracker. Carefully scrape off excess chocolate. Place crackers in single layer on waxed paper-covered baking sheets: sprinkle with crushed candy.
Refrigerate 30 minutes or until chocolate is firm.
NOVEMBER 2012 RECIPE
1 (8oz) pkg. refrigerated crescent roll dough
4 cheese sticks, halved
1 (3.5 oz) pkg. slice pepperoni
optional-marinara or ranch sauce for dipping
Garlic Butter Glaze:
2 tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. Italian seasonings
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take each triangle of crescent roll dough and place about 6 pepperoni on the bottom of the triangle Place half of a cheese stick on top and roll up. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown. While rolls are cooking combine the melted butter, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl.When rolls are done remove from the oven and brush with garlic butter glaze serve with marinara or ranch for dipping.
OCTOBER 2012 RECIPE
1 lb ground beef
1 container of Philadelphia Cooking Creme-Original flavor
6 slices of bacon
1 bag Ore Ida Hashbrowns
1 velveeta cheese 8 oz. stick
1 chicken broh stock 32. oz.
1 small onion
Brown ground beef. Cook bacon in oven at 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes until cooked. Add everything above to crockpot and place it on high for 4 hours. Stirring occasionally. Top with fried onions and extra bacon.
SEPTEMBER 2012 RECIPE
2 lbs refrigerated cheese ravioli
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 lb hot or sweet Italian sausage removed from its casing
6 medium garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 can tomato puree (28 oz.)
1 can diced tomatoes, drained (14.5
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 c.)
1 oz. parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/2 cup)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 1 tbsp. salt and the ravioli; cook, stirring occasionally, until completely tender, about 10 minutes,. Drain pasta, return it to pot and toss with 1 tbsp oil; set aside. Meanwhile, heat remaining tbsp. oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/2 tsp. salt; cook stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until meat browns, about 7 minutes. Add garlic; red pepper flakes and oregano; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomato puree and diced tomatoes, bring to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors are blended, about 10 minutes.
Add cooked ravioli to sauce and stir to combine. Pour mixture into 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle cheeses evenly over top. Bake until sauce is bubbling and browned,about 15 minutes.
AUGUST 2012 RECIPE
1 large cucumber
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
Wash and peel skin and slice cucumbers thinly. Mix all other ingredients. Pour over cucumber and onion slices. Chill 3 hours before serving. Shake or stir 3 or 4 times.
JULY 2012 RECIPE
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo
1 lb bacon, fried & crumbled
1 tomato, chopped
Mix all together and enjoy!!!
JUNE 2012 RECIPE
1 can (20 oz.) DOLE Pineapple Slices
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
2 lbs. ground turkey or chicken
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
8 whole grain hamburger buns
8 slices cheddar or monterey jack cheese
Drain pinapple; reserve 1/2 cup juice. Reserve 2 pineapple slices for snack or other use. Stir together teriyaki sauce and reserved pineapple juice in a small bowl. Mix together turkey, ginger, bread crumbs and 1/4 cup teriyaki mixture. Shape into 8 patties. Grill patties, brushing with remaining teriyaki mixture, until brown and cooked through. Place pineapple slices on grill and cook until lightly golden brown. Serve burgers on buns with cheese and pineapple.
MAY RECIPE 2012
3-4 chicken breasts boned/cooked
1 dozen corn tortillas
1 can cream of mushroom soup or refried beans
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 carton sour cream
1 can green chilies
1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 cup milk
1 medium onion chopped
Cut chicken into pieces. Mix soups, onion, milk, sour cream, and chilies together. Warm tortillas. Take one tortilla at a time and fill with chicken and soup mixture. Add a little cheese and roll up tight. Place in large pan. Pour remainder of chicken and soup mixture over rolled tortillas. Sprinkle remaining cheese over all. Bake at 350 until heated all the way through and cheese melts.
APRIL 2012 RECIPE
1 bag cole slaw mix
1 bunch scallions- chopped
1 pkg. slivered almonds
1/2 jar small sunflower seeds
ramen noodles dried and crumbled
1 cup oil
1 cup red wine vinegar
seasoning from ramen noodles (chicken flavor is what I use)
sugar (as much to get taste right)
Mix all together and chill in refrigerator up to 4 hours.
MARCH 2012 RECIPE
FEBRUARY 2012 RECIPE
1 pkg. crescent roll dough
1 lb. sausage
1 cup frozen hash browns thawed and loose packed
1- 4oz. grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup milk
salt & pepper to taste
Brown and drain sausage. Spread crescent rolls in 12 inch greased pizza pan. Spread sausage evenly over crust. Layer on potatoes, and then cheese. Beat together eggs, milk, salt & pepper. Pour over cheese evenly. Bake at 375 for 25 to 30 minutes.
VARIATION: May substitute any kind of omelet ingredients such as diced ham, mushrooms, onions, chopped broccoli, salsa, bacon, etc..
Also, may reduce milk to 3 tablespoons. May sprinkle with Parmesan cheese on top before baking.
JANUARY 2012 RECIPE
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced thin(Eckrich smoked sausage)
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1 cumin (or spice)
1 cup rice
2 cans black beans
1/2 tsp. oregano
3 tsp. chili powder
Brown sausage and onion over medium heat. Cook rice. In soup pot add other seasonings. In blender, puree 3/4 can of undrained black beans and add to soup pot. Add remaining beans, undrained. Add cooked rice to pot. Heat and simmer. Serve with hot dinner rolls with butter. Also, serve with salad.
DECEMBER 2011 RECIPE
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 candy canes or 8-10 peppermint hard candies (about 1/4 cup crushed)
1/4 cup white or semi-sweet chocolate morsels
10-12 mini foil-wrapped peppermint patty candies, unwrapped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line Large Sheet Pan with a 10 inch sheet of Parchment Paper. Combine chocolate morsels and butter in Classic Batter Bowl. Microwave on HIGH 40-60 seconds or until smooth, stirring after each 20-second interval using Classic Scraper. Add sugar and egg to batter bowl; mix until well blended. Add flour; mix just until flour is incorporated. Using Small Scoop, drop 20 level scoops of batter, 1 inch apart, onto pan. Bake 9-11 minutes or until edges are set. (Do not over bake.)
2. Meanwhile, place candy canes into resealable plastic bag; crush using flat side of Meat Tenderizer and set aside. Place white chocolate morsels into small micro-cooker; microwave, uncovered, on HIGH 30-60 seconds or until melted and smooth, stirring once. Set aside.
3. Remove sheet pan from oven to Stackable Cooling Rack. Immediately turn over half of the cookies using mini-serving spatula; top with peppermint patties and remaining cookies to form 10 sandwiches. Drizzle chocolate over cookies and immediately sprinkle with crushed candies. Transfer to serving platter. Line pan with another sheet of Parchment paper and scoop remaining batter onto paper. Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are set. Assemble sandwiches as directed above.
NOVEMBER 2011 RECIPE
2 cans green beans (drained)
3/4 cup milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 3 oz can Durkee french fried onions
Combine milk, soup, pepper. Pour over beans. Add 1/2 can onions. Pour into 1 1/2 quart-baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Garnish with other 1/2 can onions. Bake 5 minutes more.
OCTOBER 2011 RECIPE
1 pkg (12 oz) Shells & Cheese Dinner
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. (1-14 oz.) Taco Seasoning Mix
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup sour cream
3/4 cup shredded cheese
3/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup crushed tortilla chips
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare mac and cheese dinner following directions. While pasta cooking brown meat; drain. Add taco seasoning mix and water to meat.
2. Stir sour cream into prepared dinner. Spoon half of the dinner mixture into 8 inch square baking dish; top with layers of meat mixture, half of the cheese and the remaining dinner mixture. Cover.
3. Bake, 15 minutes. Top with salsa, remaining cheese, and crushed tortiallas. Bake, uncovered, for an additional 5 minutes.
SEPTEMBER 2011 RECIPE
AUGUST 2011 RECIPE
1 c. flour
3/4 c. oatmeal
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. melted butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. sugar
2 tabs cornstarch
1 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix part 1 until crumbly. Press half of crumbs into greased 9x9 baking dish. cover with 4 cups diced rhubarb. Combine Part 2. cook until thick and clear. Pour over rhubarb. Top with remaining crumbs and bake 1 hour at 350. Serve warm with ice cream.
JULY 2011 RECIPE
6 Hard-Cooked Eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
1 tsp. prepared mustard
1 tsp vinegar
Paprika or parsley sprigs (optional)
Halve hard-cooked eggs lengthwise and remove yolks. Place yolks in a bowl; mash with a fork. Add mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar; mix well. If desired, season with salt and pepper. Stuff egg white halves with yolk mixture. If desired, garnish with paprika or parsley. Makes 12 servings.
From Stacy Casey's Kitchen
JUNE 2011 RECIPE
20 oz Oreo's crushed
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup margarine
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 pkgs. regular instant chocolate fudge pudding mix
3 1/2 cup milk
12 oz cool whip
Cream cream cheese, margarine, and powdered sugar. Mix and set pudding and milk. Fold in cool whip and then fold in cream cheese mixture. Layer 1/3 of Oreo's, 1/2 pudding mixture, 1/3 oreo's, rest of pudding, remaining 1/3 oreo's.
MAY 2011 RECIPIE
8 oz. pkg. mostaccioli noodles-cooked
2 medium onion, cut up
3 tomatoes, cut not peeled
1 large cucumber, big cube sized
1 small jar pimientos (optional)
After cooking and draining noodles lightly coat noodles with 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
1/2 c. white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. prepared mustard
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. to a tbsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. accent
SET OVERNIGHT & STIR
From Stacy Casey's Kitchen
APRIL 2011 RECIPE
4 oz chicken breasts
8 slices swiss cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sour cream
Arrange uncooked chicken in greased 9x13 pan. Lay slices of cheese on top. Mix together soup and sour cream. Spread sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with stuffing mix. Drizzle butter over stuffing mix. Bake at 350 for 1 hour.
From Stacy Casey's Kitchen
MARCH 2011 Recipie
3 tbsp butter, melted
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup milk
2 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese grated
1 8oz. slice deli ham
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
1 can chicken broth (14.5 oz)
1 bag (16oz.) frozen cheese tortellini
1 bag (6oz.) baby spinach leaves
1. Combine butter and flour in bowl; whisk until smooth. Add pressed garlic and milk to butter mixture; whisk well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring every 60 seconds. Add cheese; whisk until smooth. Dice ham and add ham and black pepper to bowl. Mix well and set aside.
2. Combine tortellini and broth in Deep Covered Baker. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 12-15 minutes or until tortellini are tender, stirring every 4-5 minutes. Add cheese sauce to baker; mix well. Microwave, covered, on HIGH 2-3 minutes or until heated through. Stir in spinach; cover and let stand 2-3 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
Yield: 6 Servings
From Stacy Casey's Kitchen